Monday, July 18, 2011

The big move to college, again. Never settle for ordinary.

    Two years ago, almost to the day, I was packing up and heading south to Angelo State University in San Angelo, Texas. Now to most people, this central/west Texas city might not sound like an ideal destination. However, "most" people are not from a tiny, one-horse town in the Texas panhandle where it's dry, it's windy, and there is almost nothing to do. So when I arrived at Angelo State University I was truly ready for a change, and I got a whole lot of it. I was slightly overweight, that changed. I began to work out religiously. Before class, after class, and after work. I was an underachiever, that changed. I rushed a fraternity, joined the honors program, found a steady job, and took 18 credit hours my first semester. I was a binge drinker, that didn't change so much. So as I near the beginning of my junior year of college, why would I even consider transferring in the midst of my undergraduate career? That is what this particular blog intends to address.



      Growing up, I was a big dreamer. I wanted to be a politician, a writer, a media mogul, an engineer, an ambassador, and a lawyer, respectively. Doesn't everyone? In my case, I began college as a poli-sci major, but quickly changed to business when I realized law school has no undergraduate degree requirements. I was making all the right moves, majoring in accounting, learning a second language, maintaining a steady job, staying active on campus and throughout the community. But something just wasn't right. As I pondered my restlessness, a few things began to come to mind. Firstly, I wasn't being challenged enough in my education. Accounting was boring, and to be quite honest not entirely too difficult. Secondly, I felt as if I wasn't getting the full college experience. Now don't get me wrong, Angelo State University is great for many of its own reasons. But it wasn't providing that rich, quintessential college experience. No major traditions, mediocre collegiate sports, median population, dismal geographic location. Thirdly, why the hell not move. I'm young, I'm ambitious, I'm free.



    So I've convinced myself by this point. And I decide engineering is the route I would like to take. It's intellectually challenging, and economically practical. Texas is very energy based and has a relatively strong economy, so it fit. Furthermore, if I decided to go to law school, then engineering would do nicely as an undergraduate degree. It was difficult not to transfer to one of Texas' many fine division 1 universities. I considered A&M, University of Texas, Baylor, even University of North Texas. But for some reason, the University of Arkansas grabbed my attention most. It is a beautiful university, surrounded by beautiful geography. They offered in-state tuition so long as you met the requirements. Yet it's not halfway across the country from home. Fuck it, let's do it. 



   To be perfectly honest, I will be letting a lot of people down for whom I care deeply. Many people are upset over my departure, while many couldn't care less. But a very blunt friend put it this way, "sometimes in life you've got to bite the bullet and think about other people, this is not one of those times."  I don't mean to say I'm burning bridges, in fact I believe in the end I may be helping the relationships that are temporarily strained by this move. When I left home I promised myself I would dream big and do what it takes to accomplish my goals. I would be breaking that promise if I didn't take this risk and transfer schools. Now for the punchline.....

      No matter what your situation is, whether it be small or large in the grand scheme of things, never settle for ordinary. Do not be satisfied with your comfort zone. Push your limits and test yourself. Never, ever, ever remain stationary in your life. Always move forward even if it hurts sometimes. Like your typical big ol' cheeseball, I believe that in the end things will all work out for the best so long as you keep your head up and move forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment